IQSA is proud to announce the release of the second issue of its flagship journal, the Journal of the International Qur’anic Studies Association by Lockwood Press. JIQSA, vol. 2 (2017) is co-edited by Michael Pregill and Vanessa De Gifis (Wayne State University) and features new research on the Qur’an. The editors offer an insightful introductory essay in remembrance of Andrew Rippin, IQSA’s inaugural president and “esteemed colleague, revered mentor, and scholarly inspiration to many members of the IQSA community” (Pregill, 3).
Articles include the 2016 presidential address by Farid Esack and a response by Shari Lowin, as well as a number of original contributions by renowned scholars in the field.
Readers will find JIQSA reflects the depth, diversity and debate latent within Qur’an Studies today. Subjects explored in this issue include the Qur’an’s place in late antiquity, literary and inter-confessional dialogue, its reception in the west, the hermeneutics of traditional and modern exegesis, transmission of the text, manuscripts, philology, rhetoric and more. A table of contents follows below.
Preparation for JIQSA, vol. 3 has already begun. Submissions should be uploaded electronically, in both Microsoft Word and PDF formats, to http://lockwoodonlinejournals.com/index.php/jiqsa/about/submissions. Please ensure that the documents you upload are anonymized for peer review. As a rule of thumb, articles should be between 10,000 and 15,000 words including footnotes, using 12-pt Times New Roman font double-spaced for the body and 11-pt single-spaced font for footnotes. Shorter or longer articles may be accepted for review at the discretion of the editors. Authors are encouraged to conform their submissions to our current JIQSA Guidelines and Style Sheet.
Volume 2 (2017): Table of Contents
- Pregill, Michael E. “Remembrance: Andrew Rippin (1950-2016).” JIQSA 2 (2017): 3-6.
- Esack, Farid. “Lot and His Offer: 2016 IQSA Presidential Address.” JIQSA 2 (2017): 7-34.
- Lowin, Shari L. “Response to Farid Esack’s 2016 Presidential Address.” JIQSA 2 (2017): 35-46.
- Stewart, Devin. “Cognate and Paronomastic Curse Retorts in the Qurʾān: Speech Genres and the Investigation of Qurʾānic Language.” JIQSA 2 (2017): 47-88.
- Ali, Kecia. “Destabilizing Gender, Reproducing Maternity: Mary in the Qurʾān.” JIQSA 2 (2017): 89-110.
- Lowry, Joseph E. “Law, Structure, and Meaning in Sūrat al-Baqarah.” JIQSA 2 (2017): 111-148.
- Qureshi, Jawad Anwar. “Ring Composition in Sūrat Yūsuf (Q 12).” JIQSA 2 (2017): 149-168.
- Pregill, Michael E. “Review Essay: Positivism, Revisionism, and Agnosticism in the Study of Late Antiquity and the Qurʾān.” JIQSA 2 (2017): 169-199.
At this time institutions are strongly encouraged to subscribe for print or online access by filling out this SUBSCRIPTION FORM. Print subscriptions are also available for individual subscribers via THIS FORM.
DOWNLOAD PDF (Subscription Form)
ISSN 2474-8390 (Print)
Print and Online: US$70
Print only: US$40
Online only: US$40
Full online access to the Journal of the International Qur’anic Studies Association is available by signing in to the member portal at iqsaweb.org HERE. Use the top menu to navigate to “JIQSA” and select the desired volume via the drop-down menu.
If you experience trouble logging in, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reset your password or confirm your membership.
Renew or sign up for IQSA membership HERE for full access to JIQSA, RQR, and more!
© International Qur’anic Studies Association, 2019. All rights reserved.