Call for Papers: IQSA International Meeting 2021
“Giorgio La Pira” Library, Palermo, Sicily
The International Qur’anic Studies Association (IQSA) is happy to announce its fourth biennial conference from July 4-11, 2021, hosted by the “Giorgio La Pira” Library (Palermo, Italy). This international conference will welcome papers on any topic within the range of the interests of the Qur’anic text encouraging in particular papers that will explore the theme Qur’an in contact: Plurality of views from other traditions, disciplines and peripheries
The “Giorgio La Pira” Library and Research Centre in Palermo, Sicily, is a ‘twin’ of the “Giuseppe Dossetti” Library in Bologna, both established by the Foundation for Religious Studies “John XXIII” (FSCIRE).
FSCIRE is a leading research institution in Italy. It coordinates the European starting community ReiReS (Research Infrastructure on Religious Studies) and the European research infrastructure RESILIENCE; it is the founder and promoter of the European Academy of Religion and it hosts the UNESCO Chair on Religious Pluralism and Peace.
In October 2018, the “Giorgio La Pira” Library was established as a research centre specialised in the history and doctrines of Islam, with the aim of representing all its linguistic, doctrinal, and cultural varieties. The library is dedicated to Giorgio La Pira (1904-1977), a Sicilian scholar and political leader who played a key role in the peace movement throughout his life and career.
One of the main goals of the “Giorgio La Pira” Library and Research Centre is to represent all traditions of Islam and to encourage their research cooperation, in an effort to create an area of rights and understanding through scientific progress in the fields of history, theology, jurisprudence, philosophy, and philology.
The organizers encourage submissions of proposals in any topic of Qur’anic scholarship, and in particular:
- a) themes related to other traditions within and outside Islam in order to foster plurality of views and a comparative perspective;
- b) contributions from scholars in other disciplines who are tangentially connected to the Qur’an and Qur’anic studies literature thus contributing their original voice into the flourishing of the discipline of Qur’anic studies.
If circumstances will allow for travelling and for people gathering in Palermo, the conference will be held in a hybrid format. The meeting will be structured as follows:
- July 4-7, 2021: this portion of the conference will be entirely virtual.
- July 8-11, 2021: this portion of the conference will be Hybrid. In-person attendees will be able to present at the La Pira Library. All equipment necessary to facilitate interaction between virtual and in-person attendees will be made available.
During registration you will be asked if you are interested in attending the conference in person. This is not a commitment to attending in person. We know that for many people, travel planning is currently not possible, and we expect the majority of participants to attend virtually. However, if circumstances do allow, and you would be open in coming in-person, please note your interest. We have a limited number of spots for which we can provide full or partial accommodation.
The Palermo IQSA Conference Committee welcomes proposals of single papers as well as panels that gather selected speakers invited by the proponent to present on a specific topic.
Please note that all proposals for single papers must include:
- Author name and affiliation
- Paper title
- 200-word paper abstract (in English)
while proposals for panels must include:
- Chair name and affiliation
- Panel title
- 200-words panel abstract (in English)
- speakers contacted and selected by the proponent and title of each paper.
Applicants are kindly asked to submit their abstracts to the attention of Dr. Alba Fedeli at firstname.lastname@example.org, by April 23, 2021. The organizing committee will send a notification of acceptance for abstracts on May 16, 2021.
Should you have any questions regarding the submission of proposals, please contact the conference director, Dr Alba Fedeli, at email@example.com.
Conference registration fees are structured as follows:
- Students to assistant professors – IQSA members: $50 USD / Non-IQSA members: $100 USD
- Associate professors and above – IQSA members $75 USD / Non-IQSA members: $150 USD
- Members of the public – $150 USD
- Affiliates to the “Giorgio La Pira” Library will receive a special code for registration.
The event registration page is https://members.iqsaweb.org/event-4189882
Individuals in the Global South interested in attending the conference should email firstname.lastname@example.org for accommodations. Any other questions concerning the registration process should also be addressed to email@example.com.
© International Qur’anic Studies Association, 2021. All rights reserved.