The International Qur’anic Studies Association (IQSA), a non-profit organization, seeks a copyeditor for freelance contract work on its three scholarly publication projects: JIQSA (annual journal), ISIQ (monograph series), RQR (monthly review of books). This is a deadline-driven position with overlapping seasonal workflows where diverse specialized texts require detailed technical editing in short turnaround times. Work is remote-desk and may be performed from any geographical location in the United States. This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys high-performance work and is looking to join a collaborative team of scholars in a dynamic professional field.
Position will report directly to Head Editor of JIQSA, but will also collaborate with other members of IQSA’s editorial and executive teams as appropriate.
Position open until filled.
- check texts to ensure they are well written and logically structured
- correct grammar and spelling
- check illustrations and captions
- ensure texts conform to JIQSA Style Guide
- check facts and raise queries with Head Editor
- look out for potential legal problems and discuss them with the Head Editor
- other duties as assigned
- Education: B.A. in English, journalism, Near Eastern languages, or other relevant field in the liberal arts, humanities or social sciences
- excellent written English, including proper spelling and grammar
- working knowledge of classical Arabic and relevant systems of transliteration
- a meticulous approach to texts and an eye for detail
- the ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- strong concentration and ability to focus on texts that may be lengthy and highly technical
- clear judgement in applying house style
- the ability to retain authors’ voices after editing
- excellent collaboration skills
- M.A. or graduate study in relevant field
- specialist interest in Qur’anic Studies or related disciplines
- working knowledge of additional foreign languages (esp. Persian, Hebrew, Syriac, Greek, German, or French)
- Contract may be negotiated as hourly or by project; rate commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Free access to IQSA member benefits
Interested candidates should submit resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com.